The Forgotten SnackSometimes its the simple things in life (or the kitchen) that are taken for granted. As someone who suffers from a wheat allergy, all I could think about was all the cookies and crackers I could no longer eat. What I didn't realize was that there was a very simple, easy to make, yummy treat that I was neglecting to notice: Crispy Rice Treats.
Finding a Wheat AND Soy Free Box of CerealGoing into the cereal aisle, I knew what to look for: Anything without wheat, oats, or barley. What I didn't realize was that a lot of cereals, especially the "chocolate" flavored ones, also add soy products, so that made my search even harder. However, Kellogg's Rice Krispies, and it's generic copies, seem to be pretty safe. Although Rice Krispies are by nature gluten-free, they even have a variety made from organic brown rice, labeled as such.
The important thing to remember is that a lot of cereals that aren't labeled as gluten-free may be processed in the same facility as cereals that contain wheat, barley, or oats. Many will state "Processed in a facility that also processes..." however some do not. If you are severely allergic to gluten, I recommend buying the gluten-free version to avoid cross-contamination. For me, the regular version is fine.
Crispy Rice Treats Recipe
Makes 18 squares.
- 1/4 Cup Butter (this is half a stick)
- 4 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 1/2 Cups Cereal
- In a 9x13" Baking Pan, line the bottom with wax paper.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the butter and marshmallows.
- Microwave on MEDIUM for 4 minutes, mixing once.
- Remove from microwave, and stir mixture until it is fully mixed together. This should look more like a pastry batter, now.
- Stirring, add the vanilla extract. Completely mix in.
- One cup at a time, add the cereal, mixing thoroughly between cups
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, and press down so it fills in all the corners, and is completely flat on the top.
- Place in refrigerator for one hour, or until cooled
- With a spatula, slice into 18 squares.
- Serve cool, and drizzle with chocolate syrup (optional).